BY GERRY MILES
A new, affordable zero-emissions car that’s 100% electric – and affordable – think $10k-$13k – and meets all of the feds safety requirements for a low-speed vehicle makes its debut on the blue carpet of “The Smurfs 2” movie this Sunday in Los Angeles.
The Innova Dash is what’s called a new urban electric vehicle (UEV) or a variation on European microcar technology. A day’s worth of dashing up to 35 mph in its 40-mile range costs but 2 cents. Innova notes that the average US drive is fewer than 30 miles per day.
Appropriately called the Dash – because you can dash short distances in it – can run 40 miles on a standard battery or up to 90 miles on a Lithium Lion charge. Dash can be charged on a standard outlet – read, NOT the standard dryer 220 volt outlet others offer.
The Dash’s “dash” is customizable and about the size of a standard tablet with a touchscreen infotainment system.
Designed in Italy, Dash will be assembled and marketed in the US. The MSRP is said to start at $10,000 and end at $12,500 if you check off all the available options.
If you dash out for a round on the links – it converts into a more stylish looking golf cart.
Dash will also be seen in this Sunday’s episode of “West Coast Customs” on Fox Sports.
A pre-order availability is set to take place on August 15. Dash’s formal delivery and launch will take place later this year.
- TRUNK SPACE: 7.5 cubic feet
- LENGTH: 92 inches
- WIDTH: 50 inches
- WEIGHT: 1,080 lbs with batteries
- GVW: 1750 lbs
- MOTOR: 4.1 KW electric motor
- BATTERY PACK: Lead gel 45 mile range, Lithium Ion 65 mile range
- ESTIMATED BATTERY LIFE: Lead gel 12,500 miles, Lithium Ion 75,000 miles
- ELECTRIC SYSTEM: 220 volt
- REGENERATIVE BRAKING: Yes
- DRIVING MODES: Economy and Sport
- BODY: Through-color recyclable ABS
- RE-CHARGE: Plug into standard household 240 volt outlet
- ON BOARD EQUIPMENT: Touch screen LCD Infotainment, GPRS connectivity
- FLEET MANAGEMENT: Ready
- STANDARD EQUIPMENT: Windshield and roof for fully enclosed vehicle, windshield wipers, headlights, brake lights, turn signals, reflex reflectors, parking brakes, rear view mirrors, seatbelts