BY GERRY MILES
In a move meant to extend connectivity with wireless devices, Pioneer Electronics (USA) revealed eight new models of its 2014 lineup of in-dash CD receivers, the DEH-X6600BS, DEH-X6600BT, DEH-X5600HD, DEH-X4600BT, DEH-X3600S, DEH-X3600UI, DEH-X2600UI and FH-X500UI.
The new models build upon Pioneer’s sound while offering sought after smart phone features such as Siri Eyes Free for iPhone1, improved Bluetooth®2 for hands-free calling, audio streaming, enhanced Android™ music playback and Pandora® radio.
Adding to the mix of features is Pioneer’s MIXTRAX® virtual DJ technology, integrated HD Radio®, and customizable illumination to satisfy meet consumer demand.
“The smartphone has become a part of most consumers’ lifestyles and a source of both entertainment and communication,” said Ted Cardenas, vice president of marketing for the Car Electronics Division of Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc. “Pioneer’s new CD receivers provide various means for integrating a variety of smartphones into the vehicle.”
- BLUETOOTH – The DEH-X6600BS, DEH-X6600BT and DEH-X4600BT offer Bluetooth capability for hands-free calling as well as music streaming.
- Siri Eyes Free uses voice control to make calls, select and play music, hear and compose text messages, get mapping information, listen to notifications, and add reminders.
- USB CONNECTIVITY3 – The new CD models can be connected using the integrated USB port to Android devices that use the USB Media Transfer Protocol for music playback, allowing basic controls while displaying the song/artist/album and time with a compatible Android device.
- PANDORA INTERNET RADIO – The song and singer selection can be made directly from the face of the receiver when the Pandora app is launched from a connected smartphone on all 8 of the new receivers.
- MIXTRAX – Pioneer’s virtual DJ feature plays music back with added transitions and effects.
- HD RADIO – HD Radio is built in to the DEH-X5600HD model for playback of subscription free, high quality audio broadcasts. The integrated HD Radio tuner provides playback of both traditional FM/AM and HD Radio multi-cast broadcasts and display of artist and song title information on the receiver display (if available).
The cosmetics of the 2014 CD receivers (excluding DEH-X2600UI and DEH-X4600) were redesigned for a more streamlined, sophisticated look and enhanced user interface. Improvements start with a more customizable illumination and display that can be matched to any vehicle dash illumination. The outer edges of each receiver’s faceplate can be illuminated in a completely different color from the main display and customized to the user’s preference. In addition, in all models excluding DEH-X2600UI, DEH-X4600BT and FH-X500UI, fade in/fade out illumination effects were added to visually represent the receiver powering up or down, incoming Bluetooth calls, and the loading /ejecting of a disc.
Pioneer’s eight single CD receiver offerings are available with suggested retail prices starting at $90.
Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc. is headquartered in Long Beach, Calif., and its U.S. Web address is www.pioneerelectronics.com. Its parent company, Pioneer Corporation, is a preeminent manufacturer of high-performance audio, video and computer equipment for the home, car and business markets and is celebrating 75 years of innovation in the consumer electronics industry.
Do not use your Pioneer system if doing so will divert your attention in any way from the safe operation of your vehicle. Always observe safe driving rules. In some states certain operations of devices while driving may be illegal. Where such regulations apply, they must be obeyed.
1Siri and Siri Eyes Free is available only on iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 and requires Internet access. Siri may not be available in all languages or in all areas, and features may vary by area. Cellular data charges may apply.
2Bluetooth functionality requires a compatible Bluetooth-enabled mobile phone. Certain Bluetooth features may not be supported by all compatible Bluetooth-enabled devices, and/or the functionality of such features may be limited in certain devices or by certain wireless carriers.
3Not every USB device is compatible with a Pioneer head unit containing an USB port. Pioneer receivers containing a USB port are compatible with USB MSC (Mass Storage Class) devices only, and are not compatible with DRM (Digital Rights Management) content. Android compatibility using MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) varies by device. For size and other limitations, please see Owner’s Manual. Unauthorized copying of music or other files is strictly prohibited. Optional USB extension cable is available for use with front USB ports.