BY GERRY MILES
Not unlike the hot hatches and rods that appear at the SEMA shows annually, Toyota designed a tribute to what will be the final model year of its FJ Cruiser in the 2014 FJ Cruiser Trail Teams Ultimate Edition.
The FJ Cruiser pays homage to Toyota’s FJ40 Land Cruiser from the 1960s.
Toyota said the 2014 model year will be the last for FJ with limited production, building only 2,500 models.
performance upgrades, including a Toyota Racing Development (TRD) off-road suspension that includes TRD Bilstein race shocks with increased damping, articulation and high speed stability. The front shock assemblies are 66mm with new TRD race coil springs, raising the front of the FJ just enough to level out the stance and improve the approach angle. The 50mm rear shocks are equipped with remote reservoirs to decrease damping fade.
Other upgrades include:
- A TRD front skid plate, made from ¼” aluminum plate
- TRD 16-inch bead lock wheels with BF Goodrich A/T KO tires
- rock rails and roof rack complete the exterior
The Ultimate Edition FJ Cruiser is only available in 4×4. Standard fare includes:
- Active Traction Control (A-TRAC)
- Crawl Control (CRAWL available with automatic transmission only)
- Vehicle Skid Control (VSC) with off switch, elec. controlled locking rear differential
- Toyota Star Safety System
Farewell to an Icon
Chiseled from nearly a half-century tradition of tough off-road performance provided by the legendary FJ40, the original 4Runner, and 4×4 compact pickups, the FJ Cruiser was developed as a basic, capable and affordable off-roader aimed specifically at serious off-roaders looking to push the limits. Hailed by consumers and critics alike, the FJ Cruiser became an instant classic.
The final model year 2014 FJ Cruiser is on sale now. The Trail Teams Ultimate Edition is scheduled to roll into dealerships in February 2014, kicking off a fond farewell to a Toyota original.
With sales of more than 200,000 units sold since 2006, the FJ rides into the sunset leaving lasting memories of one of the most iconic vehicles in Toyota’s rich SUV history.
FJ CRUISER ULTIMATE EDITION TRAIL TEAMS KEY FEATURES
- Performance and Exterior Features
- Unique white front grille surround and exclusive Monotone “Heritage Blue” paint
- Blacked out bumpers, exterior mirrors and door handles
- All-new TRD heavy duty one-quarter-inch thick aluminum front skid plate
- Sew Specially-developed off-road tuned TRD Bilstein front suspension and rear Bilstein shocks with remote reservoir
- Exterior FJ Trail Teams Badge
- Roof rack
- Rock rails
- TRD 16-inch Gunmetal bead lock wheels with BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO tires
- Rear wiper
- Interior Convenience Features
- Stainless steel FJ Cruiser Ultimate Edition dash plaque
- Power outside mirrors with illuminated markers
- Privacy glass on rear side, quarter and rear door windows
- Cruise Control
- Leather-trimmed steering wheel
- Floating-ball Multi-information Display with inclinometer, Compass and outside temperature
- Remote keyless entry system
- Auto-dimming rearview mirror with integrated backup camera display
- One 115V/400W AC power outlet