Kennedy featured Cadillac to get auctioned July 10

vcsPRAsset_3053006_62873_f7613c75-eb69-40eb-986e-bfca86c533ae_0-1H&H Classics are selling a 1949 Cadillac that comes freighted with the astonishing Kennedy clan history, a presence at the wedding of JFK and Jackie, at the baptism of their children, his presidential inauguration and at JFK’s funeral following his assassination in 1963, a story that still perplexes and fascinates the world.

The Cadillac will be sold at H&H Classics Chateau Impney July 10 in the Midlands for an estimated £35,000 to £45,000.

The car was owned by the Archbishop of Boston, Richard J. Cushing (1895-1970), a close friend of the Kennedys (who were Catholics). He officiated at the marriage of John F. Kennedy and Jacqueline Bouvier in 1953 and he baptized many of the Kennedy children and gave the prayer invocation at JFK’s presidential inauguration in 1961. Cushing also led the religious ceremony at President John F. Kennedy’s funeral in 1963. Research indicates that this car would have carried the Cardinal to all these happy and sad Kennedy events.

Cushing was known for his very liberal views on Catholicism which led him on occasion to openly disagree with the Vatican. He was made a Cardinal in 1958 by Pope John XIII.

The 1949 Cadillac 75 Fleetwood 5-passenger Sedan has a 160 hp 5.4 litre V8 engine. Only 220 cars of this type were made and this is number 103. It is finished in black with a beige/brown cloth interior with wooden trim, and whitewall tyres and has a 4-speed Hydra-Matic (automatic) gearbox. The car is fitted with electric windows and it still has the original radio. It was one of the last Cadillacs with ‘Turret-Top’ styling. The car is well restored, is in excellent condition and will turn heads at shows or on the road because of its fascinating history and massive size – 5,7 meter (226 inches) length, 1,83 meter (68,5 inches) height and 2 meter (82 5/16 inches) width.

This historic car’s second owner was Mrs Jeanne Klonel and her son Mr Ronald S Klonel from Indiana. Around 2000, Ronald Klonel sold the car to a collector from Finland, who in turn sold the car to the present owner in 2004. The Finnish registration document stated that the car was once owned by the archbishop, who led the JFK funeral ceremony.

There is a copy of a letter from the Cardinal in the car’s files, dated 1968, to Mrs Jeanne Klonel, stating: ‘I pray that you may enjoy this possession for many more years and that it will carry you safely wherever you go’. He also apologised that it was just a brief letter, because he was still mourning  the death of Robert F. Kennedy who had been buried only a few days earlier.

Martin van der Zeeuw, H&H Classics agent in Holland who found the car, says: “Every now and then one comes across a car that is particularly interesting not just for its engineering or design or any other physical reason but because it casts a light onto our own human history. And this is one such car, its very close links with the remarkable, brilliant, tragic Kennedy family, makes it an object of particular and historic interest.”

The car comes with a large file of its history.

 

Advertisements

Lincoln Continental that took JFK to final flight up for auction Oct. 24

1963 Lincoln Continental

1963 Lincoln Continental

BY GERRY MILES

On the 50th anniversary of president John Kennedy’s death, a Lincoln Continental that transport the first family to their final flight from Fort Worth to Dallas, will be featured during a live auction event from RR Auction, on Oct. 24 in Boston, Mass. (The Lincoln from JFK’s fatal ride is housed at the Henry Ford Museum.

This key piece of history is a white 1963 Lincoln Continental that was loaned out by Bill Golightly, of Golightly Auto Sales in Fort Worth, for use by the president while he was in town.

1963 Lincoln Continental
1963 Lincoln Continental

The automobile has been painstakingly restored by Lincoln specialist Baker Restoration of Putnam, Conn. The engine has been replaced, the body needed work as did the paint. The interior fared better with most of it still in original condition, including the red leather seats.

1963 Lincoln Continental

1963 Lincoln Continental

According to the auction house, after the car was returned to Golightly, it was sold to David Pelham of Dallas in 1964. Pelham in turn sold the car to L. H. Hough, owner of the Museum of American Tragedy, in 1967, “for $10.00 and other valuable consideration,” where it remained until the museum closed in 1998 after Hough’s death; it was then sold at public auction. The car is accompanied by a notarized letter from Golightly stating he owned the car and sold it to Pelham in 1964. Also included is the bill of sale from Pelham to Hough, dated July 20, 1967, as well as other ownership documentation, including a partial 1972 agreement for the Allstate Exhibit Company to display the car for 15 weeks.

A live auction sale is set to take place on October 24, 2013, in Boston, Massachusetts. For more information please visit the RR Auction web site (www.rrauction.com). 

1963 Lincoln Continental

1963 Lincoln Continental